Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why I'm Running (Slowly)

People want to know why I'm running for Mayor. I've never run for anything. In my experience, things haven't changed very much, they drift a little bit in one direction or another, so I didn't bother myself with politics. But now I have to bother, for a number of reasons.

One: I feel compelled to give back to the city that has given me so much.

Two: I believe we have drifted off course. Toronto was once frequently rated as one of the best cities in the world. I want to see that again, and be proud of the city I live in.

Three: I know only a little about politics, but I know something about people, about dreams and hopes, betrayals and despair, and laughter along the way.

My belief is that people are greater than the sum of their parts. My challenge to my readers: let's prove that together.

The reason that I'm running slowly is that I'm taking my time, listening to people, and looking at other candidates. If someone else in the race truly inspires me, I'll happily step off the platform, and save myself some money for an inauguration suit.

If anyone has any experience with campaigning, I could use your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment