Monday, February 15, 2010

Sooner or later

If you continue to do what you've always done
You'll continue to get what you've got before
You can't expect any more
If you're driving down the road in the same direction
You're liable to get where you're heading to
You know it's true!
What else can you do?

Sooner or later, everyone knows we’re going to have to make some changes. However, at my age, I don't have much later left. I want my later sooner! I want my later now!

And here’s the least I want from my later, before I’m the late Howard:

I want to breathe clean, fresh air. If Toronto is to be a world-class, green city, then we have got to get rid of all diesel and fossil-fuel burning cars and trucks on the road.

I want to cool my hot feet in the clean waters of Lake Ontario.

I want to walk on soft surfaces. Is concrete our only choice? If my hips, knees and ankles could vote, they’d have something to say.

I want to be inspired. When was that last time you believed in something so passionately you were willing to take a risk? When was the last time you were so excited about some political idea you were willing to call your friends or throw a party?

I wish I were forty years younger, thinner and black, but I’ve been yearning for dynamic social change most of my life. While I still have energy in my body I will give back as much as I can.

If you're happy and you know it, then vote the way you've been voting. If you haven’t been voting and you’re happy with those results, then don’t vote. If you'd like to be involved in dynamic social change, then come out and join me. Together we'll dream the new Toronto.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I was looking for your contact information, but couldn't find it. Anyway, I work for The Varsity newspaper,(University of Toronto's student newspaper) and I was hoping to talk to you about why you're running for mayor, and otherwise discuss the race. If you're interested, email me at ekkellogg@gmail.com as soon as you can!

    Thanks so much,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete