Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's About The Budget

I went to the Toronto Budget meeting last night, and I learned how budgets are created. All I can say is "God help us all."

It's about nine billion dollars, and almost all of the money is allocated to the essential services of the City. There's very little consultation with communities, and zero community decision making. We're better than that!

The constraints on city revenue-raising by federal and provincial law has got to be creatively overcome. It's not a matter of lower taxes or lower services. The real issue is new revenue, and that's what I think we can create together: a compelling story of an emerging Toronto that we can share with the world. That is one of the treasures that Toronto has to offer: the fact that the whole world lives here, bringing their wisdoms, food, art and culture. Did I mention the food?

I will be calling on the creativity of the world to step up and inspire us. You know who you are!

Meanwhile, Married White Mayoral Candidate seeks somebody who's respectful with other people's money.

No comments:

Post a Comment