Thursday, March 25, 2010

Me Too

I'd like to call out to my extended family.

First, I want to call out to the seniors of Toronto. Like you, I am concerned with the slow erosion of that which makes Toronto a great city: from the quality of air that we breathe to the safety on our streets, to the accessing of public spaces. Do you see these as significant problems? Me too.

Second, immigrants. Like you, I left my country during a time of neverending war and came to Canada to seek a better life. I honour your courage, your willingness to sacrifice to make a better life for yourself and your families.

Three, the creatives. I have spent a lifetime working in the creative arts and like you, I have struggled with budgets, acceptance of my work, and the frustrations of a society that values accountants and lawyers over creatives.

Four, spirit folk. Many of you are familiar with my multi-faith work, bringing together people of diverse faiths to sit with each other with respect, honour and dignity. You have dreamed a bigger dream, of the re-spiritualization of Toronto. Me too.

The improv nation. For more than forty years, I have trained people to use improvisation: to explore, and perhaps better, their lives. There are tens of thousands of you living here in Toronto whose experiences in the Improv Games are one of the highlights of their lives. Me too.

To the healers of Toronto, those who believe that we can be more creative and proactive in taking responsibility for our own health. You dream of a healthier, less medicalized city, with less dependance on our medical systems to give us the life we deserve. Me too.

To the why-bother-voting folks. Like you I have stayed away from municipal politics from the same despairing feeling that nothing will happen. Why bother? But now I feel this is an open moment. If I can call out to you in a way that respects and excites you, together we can make the changes necessary to move the city ahead. Most people in Toronto don't vote for the mayoralty election. If you do, we can accomplish great things. Do you want to go for it? Me too.

To the advertisers and marketers of Toronto, like you I have spent decades promoting products and services. Now it is time to use the best and brightest ideas in marketing our city to the world. I know you love this town. Me too.

To the despairing ones and the hurt and the sensitive. Like you, I have known the sadnesses of betrayal and broken dreams, the fears of the future, the pains of the present. But I believe that we, together, can uplift one another and see within each other the possibilities to re-create our lives. While we are still alive, let's bring back hope. Are you up for it? Me too.

To my brothers and sisters in the Unions. I have been a proud union member all of my adult life and I'm currently a member of six craft unions (but that's another story.) I feel I can call out to you legitimately and say that we have forgotten our purpose as Union people. We have traded in our vision of a brighter tomorrow for a larger hat with which to beg. This is the 21st century, we need a new mind. We're better than that.

And finally, to the entrepreneurial class. For decades I have been an artistic entrepreneur, creating employment opportunities for myself and others. I call upon you to create a vision that is filled with abundance, that acts like a magnet and attracts to Toronto the best entrepreneurial minds in the world. Let's call out to the world that Toronto is in renaissance mode, come join the excitement. Do you love this town? Me too.

Do you believe that we are just beginning to tap into the potential of what this city offers to the world? Me too.

On April 28th we will have the official launch of my campaign. Please stand by for the when and where. I look forward to seeing you then.

1 comment:

  1. I would vote for a candidate (hint hint) who promises a bylaw that makes all new housing developments incorporate solar panels and geothermal heating and cooling in all new homes as well as burying all power lines. Given that the "Toronto 18" terrorists planned to bomb the power grids and that we are approaching a solar flair maximum year 2011-12, it just makes sense.

    As well, it would be a shining example to Torontonians (pun intended) if City Hall had solar panels covering the south-facing wall, thereby saving the city thousands of dollars in hydro bills.

    Just a thought. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete